Trusted Dating site
to find your love
Don't stay alone...
There are some cultural features in Russia, as in every country, which a foreign person should know. Especially, if you are planning to weave you fate with the Russian bride.
1. At homes people take off the shoes and put on the slippers or nothing. If you are invited to any celebration to someone's home – the best way is to take second clean pare of shoes or your own slippers with you.
2. Russians believe – to whistle inside the houses – the way to call devils or other evil spirits. As option – to become poor, to loose the money.
3. If to sit at the corner of the table – legend give two explanations: or you will find the fiancee which will have a house or apartment, or you will never marry.
4. If to lick anything off a knife – you will become angry. May be because you can insure you tongue, may be it's a memory of an ancient times when soldiers always had swords and knives with them.
5. Russian people in the whole pays a lot of attention to their clothes. It's strange to go outside being dressed in “the first what I took out of the wardrobe”. Clothes should be clean, nice, selected according the sense of harmony. Even cheap clothes, nevertheless, should be nice. Almost all of Russians have the sense of style.
6. The man always pay in cafes if he invites woman.
One of the most astonishing features of Russian culture for foreigners – there were no feminism in Russia. Russian woman looks at the man as at the strong clever getter, which can defend and feed her and children. Of course, nobody forbids Russian bride to get education and have jobs, she choose herself – to be a strong woman and do career or to become a housewife. Anyway, exist some rules in relationship – if a man invites Russian or Ukrainian woman to the cafe – he should to pay for her too. Even if she isn't his beloved. A man in Russia – is more gentleman than in Britain.
7. A man must to help woman if she brings something heavy.
Of course you don't need to become a free bringer of heavy things for every woman in the district you live. But in Russia it's a normal practice – seeing an old woman, for example, to help her bring a big bag. Or to help young mother with a baby to put the baby carriage to their floor. And anyway – you always should to help you Russian or Ukrainian bride. The only exception is – individual lady's bag. All other bags, boxes, things – always the man brings.
8. Russians always respect invalids.
All types of them are respected and helped. Also an ancient tradition in Russia and Ukraine exist – to feel pity and sympathize to the crazy people if they are not aggressive. During ages tradition announced insane persons as “God's people” and who offended them – was disrespected and thought cruel.
9. To say unpleasant things straightly – is not polite.
And also it's the best way to offend a person. Even if your words are truth – you can loose a Ukrainian or Russian brides after the “cruel straight truth”. In this tradition one can see the influence of Asia, and it's really so.
10. It's a bad sign to gift:
Empty purse. Put there even a pare coins, as legend says: “for the money reproducing”.
Knives. If you present it – ask to buy it symbolically for the coin. Handkerchiefs. This thing never can be presented in any situation except a ritual of burying.
11. Bodily functions demonstration is frowned upon.
It is not a theme for discussing and humor: flatulence, belching, snot. If something of it happens – necessary to say “sorry”. Also all the jokes of “toilet humor” are not normal. In Russia such folklore is typical only for the marginalized people.
12. To shake hands or give something through a doorway – is forbidden because of legend.
Also exist a lot of other traditions, legends and historical customs in Russia and Ukraine. Some of them looks funny, some are enough useful. The details can enough differ in different regions. Anyway, even if you don't believe anything mystic – don't offend your bride.